The crust was crispy and the filling was sweet, creamy and delicious. But because I live in New York City, I am still looking for something better and something local. I have eaten cannoli’s in Little Italy but I have not come across a very memorable one. People from New York tell me to go to Rocco’s in the west village. On their menu their cannoli is described as “Rocco’s World Famous Cannoli.”
Unfortunately I am on a diet, which I NEVER do, but I think I eat way too many desserts everyday so it’s time to cut back. After my trip to Punta Cana, I am going to try Rocco’s and give you all an update! If you’re reading this and know of a great cannoli place, comment and let me know!
1. Four-Berry Smoothie (Southern Living)
So as I scour the internet for good summer time recipes I came across these different smoothie recipes for something that tastes just as good, if not better than the traditional smoothie shop or truck down the street. These are an easy and fast healthy dessert, snack or meal when you’re lounging or on the go. You can add or take away fruits based on your tastes and even make them a little sweeter by adding your favorite sorbet or ice cream!
I have modified this recipe (I took out the ice cream) because I like a healthier version of the recipe, but if you click on the picture you can get the exact Southern Living recipe.
- 2 Cups of vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup of frozen, sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup of frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup of blackberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry or white grape juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Add sugar to taste
1. Combine fruits in blender and blend until smooth
2. Add yogurt and blend to incorporate the ingredients
3. Add the juices and if necessary add ice to desired texture
2. Paula Deen’s Pina Colada Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup ice cubes
- 2 teaspoons honey, optional
- Pineapple wedges, for garnish
In a blender, combine the pineapple chunks, coconut milk, banana, ice, and, if desired, honey. Puree until smooth. Pour into 2 large glasses. Garnish each serving with a pineapple wedge.
3. Martha Stewart’s Strawberry Banana Soy Smoothie (I recommend this recipe for people who are lactose intolerant)
Ingredients: (modified recipe)
- 1 ripe banana, thickly sliced
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup soy milk OR rice milk OR almond milk
- 1/2 cup of Laloo’s Strawberry Darling Goat milk ice cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey
Combine ingredients and blend until smooth.
4. Giada’s Raspberry-Vanilla Smoothie (Food Network)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of ice
1. Bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat, simmer until the sugar has disolved and let cool for about 20 minutes
2. Pour the cooled syrup into the blender, add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth
5. Strawberry Banana & Chocolate Smoothie w/ Rice milk
My best friend’s mother created this simple and delicious recipe and I found it refreshing, healthy and I believe it had just the right amount of sweetness to it.
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup ice
- Hershey’s chocolate milk powder mix (add amount to taste)
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
- 1/2 cup of rice milk OR almond milk
Combine ingredients in a blender until smooth
Summer is all about fresh fruit and refreshing cocktails, well at least in my opinion! Who doesn’t love to lounge on the beach and sip on a cool beverage. Here is a cocktail recipe that is perfect for summer!
This Strawberry Basil Sangria is a lite drink made with white wine that will surely be a delight to have with a few friends, or even to have as a signature cocktail at a summer barbeque or graduation party.
- 1/2 lb of fresh strawberries
- 1 apple
- 1 ounce of fresh whole basil leaves
- 1 bottle of Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of club soda
- 1 cup of white grape juice
1. Slice strawberries and chop apples
2. Score basil leaves with a fork so their flavor is released
3. Layer the fruit, sugar and basil in a pitcher and let the sugar absorb into the fruit
4. Add the club soda and then the remaining liquids, stir and serve!
So my new favorite thing to do in my free time is to discover new recipes on Pinterest, if you do not have a Pinterest account you should definitely sign up for an invite! Not only does Pinterest have great recipes, but there are also all kinds of interesting posts including decorating tips, fashion advice and a variety of work out routines. My favorite summer recipes usually include fruits, so this coconut and key lime recipe looks like something that would be delicious and refreshing and one of my top picks for the summer!
Here is a cake that is both festive and delicious that can be made for the Fourth of July or any party during the summer. I decided to make it for my Nana’s birthday which was last weekend and it was eaten up so fast that we made it again this weekend! The great thing about this cake is that it tastes light and it is covered in fresh juicy berries. It is also a very easy recipe because all you need is one box of cake mix, whipping cream, sugar and fresh berries.
- 1 box of cake mix, I have tried it with both white and french vanilla flavors
- 1 pint of heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2-3/4 cups of white sugar
- blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries
- Bake the cake mix as directed on the box and use two 8 x 8 inch round cake pans
- Wrap the cakes individually in saran wrap and store in the refrigerator until cool, or overnight
- When the cake is cool and you’re ready to add the whipped topping gather the remaining ingredients
- Combine the pint of heavy cream or whipping cream and sugar and start beating with an electric mixer until it becomes very thick. If it does not seem thick enough add more sugar and whip at a higher speed
- When the cream is prepared place one layer of the cake on cake dish and cover the top with 1/3 of the cream
- Place the other half of the cake on top and use the rest of the whipped cream to coat the cake
10. Store the cake in the refrigerator until served and make sure to make it the day you are serving it…it will only last 2-3 days after it’s made because it is made with fresh whipped cream.